Friday, January 28, 2022

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

 Supplement 323 - Model #181 + #175 - Winter 2022
Knit Kimono Top with added midriff
 
    Hello folks, I hope you're all feeling well and getting a chance to sew. I had some sweater knit to use up so I thought I would try a little experiment. I saw this kimono sleeved cropped top pattern and thought I could add a midriff piece to make it more appropriate for a more mature figure. 
 
Pattern Hints: 
   The main pattern for this top was #181 but it only had a stretch band just under the bust to finish the bottom. I haven't worn a cropped top in years but found another pattern, #175, in this same supplement that included a fitted midriff. Pattern #175 is actually for a dress but the fitted midriff starts just below the kimono sleeved bodice similar to pattern #181. I would have just made the top of dress #175 but the neckline shape looked too fussy to me. Below are the two pattern fronts side by side so you can see the differences. 
   As it turns out I don't much care for the neckline on pattern #181 either. The neck hole on this pattern is so small that it barely fits over my head. Next time I think I would eliminate the neck facing and replace it with a stretchier option or just cut a much deeper front neckline. Better yet, perhaps I should find a way to alter the neckline of #175 to a more standard scoop. I suspect the squarer shoulder line of #175 would look better on me. Oh well, it was just an experiment.
 
Design Changes: 
    The first true design change was to add the midriff piece from pattern#175 to the bottom of pattern #181 to make it more modest. Since the front midriff for #175 has a slight peak to it I did end up folding that down to resemble the back midriff pattern. I also added an extra 3 inches to the bottom of the midriff pieces thereby extending it into my hip area. I made sure to use my handy dandy hip curve to make sure it fit nice and close to the body. I'm actually pleased that I added such a long midriff piece since the whole top lifts when you raise your arms. We can thank the low, kimono style arm hole for that.
    My knit was stretchy enough to eliminate the zipper suggested for pattern #175. The top portion, pattern #181,  is really oversized so as long as the knit for the midriff has plenty of stretch there's no problem putting this on without a zipper opening. Pattern #181 produces a top that truly resembles the fashion drawing but I'm not sure even adding a midriff can save this style for me. I'm afraid oversized is just not my friend. 😞 
 
Fabric Used/Suggested: 
    My animal print is a 95%poly/5% Spandex blend sweater knit and the solid is a stretchy, medium weight T-shirt knit. The fabrics for my experiment went together nicely. They have the right amount of stretch and drape to complete the look as intended but unfortunately the overall style does NOT work for me. I know I have worn kimono sleeves before so it must be the oversized nature of this style that just doesn't work. 
 
Closing Hints:
    Making up this pattern wasn't a complete waste of time. Even though I won't wear this top my niece will probably love the animal print. This adventure into an oversized style has finally convinced me that they are best left to the young and svelte. Onward to the next pattern then!
 
Here's hoping your next project is more successful than my last. No need to lament though, there are SO many more Lutterloh patterns from which to choose
 
Happy sewing everyone,
 
Ann in Calif.      

2 comments:

  1. I think you are right about the oversized styles. Your idea of long waist worked well. Thanks for sharing. I learn so much from your site. I sew only for myself and know my fitting issues. There are few issues with Lutterloh. Mostly I am tall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bet for your comment. I agree that the Lutterloh patterns need much less adjusting. I just need to be more careful in my style selection I guess.

    ReplyDelete