Friday, March 20, 2015

Paper pattern fiting, this is a must watch video!

I've always been fond of the products and information
 I've gotten from Palmer/Pletsch

Melissa Watson has online this great video
on Paper fitting.  

The Lutterloh patterns are prefect for a paper fit!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6St3yx3Nd2c&utm_source=All+Contacts&utm_campaign=7bc55deeee-Welcome_to_FIT_to_Sew_+03_19_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3b2e4d3f08-7bc55deeee-302083333&ct=t%28FIT_2_Sew3_20_2015%29

If this link won't work for you go to youtube 
Put this in the search bar. 
Learn to Fit with Melissa Watson: McCall's M6989 Dress

The other really great thing in this 30 minute video 
is she does a princess line large bust 
adjustment in the video, one of the more complex adjustment.
You won't have the great Palmer/Pleitch adjustment lines
However you can add them yourself easily. 
Enjoy

 2016
I just re-watched this paper fitting video
aren't we lucky we can paperfit our Lutterloh before we add
the seam allowances!  
So many people who sew don't have helpers to fit them.
I don't so I set up my camera and take a photo of
each step.  Yes it takes longer but it works.
I can look at the photos on my camera so I do,
"oh I see I need a sway back adjustment"
(I'm going from the video)  
I take off the paper I make the adjustment and take another 
photo to see if I took the right amount.  
I do this for all adjustments.  I works!

Remember!  Once you make these adjustments you 
remember the amounts and use that adjustment in most 
all of your patterns. 

WARNING!
Don't paper fit out your ease!  
That's how you move in a garment
&
That is how fashion happens.   

3 comments:

  1. Love this link thanks
    ...and the tip on taking photos for fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you add your seam allowances after paper fitting? I trim on the seamline around all the pattern pieces after drafting my Lutterloh pattern, and tape together with a little removable tape. It works great, but then not sure of the easiest way to add the seam allowances. Do you remake the entire pattern? Thanks! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I add seam allowance before paper fitting. It allows me to connect those seams on my shoulders etc and fit one whole side of my body. I connect the side also. And there is removable tape here in the U.S that I use for this. I have a wonderful little flat measuring device that allows me to choose any side seam allowances. I lay the 1/2" side against the pattern line and just slide it and put a tiny line, I connect them all or just cut out along them. So leave some space when making your pattern and just add those hems and seam allowances and self facings.

    ReplyDelete