Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

 Supplement 322 - Model #123 - Autumn 2021

Cowl Neck Knit Top
 
    Hi again from sunny California. I'm trying to make some more transitional pieces to get me through til Summer. This top had me curious about the cowl neckline.
 
Pattern Hints: 
    This top pattern comes out pretty much as the fashion drawing indicates. The one thing that did surprise me was how close to the neck the cowl drape sits. My neckline, at the shoulder seam, starts much closer than the drawing would suggest making the drape narrower than I would like. I was pleased to find that the fullness of the cowl was the right depth for me though.
 
Design Changes: 
    I knew I would be wearing this top as a tunic over leggings so I lengthened it quite a bit.
I cut the pattern at the longest length for model #125 and then added another two inches to the bottom. To get it even longer I added a four inch contrasting band to the bottom hem. For the sleeves I added a two inch band to the shortest length of the pattern.
    
    The pink line in the photo of the pattern above indicates where I took my side seams in for a little shaping. I may take in the sides even more since this top comes out fairly boxy and shapeless.

Fabric Used/Suggested: 
     Lutterloh suggests a knit for this pattern and I would tend to agree. The boxy nature of this top would make it truly shapeless in a woven fabric even if cut on the bias for the cowl. My fabric is a rayon with spandex knit that has a really nice drape. The only thing I don't like about my knit is it tends to pill after repeated washing. That's why I needed to make another brown cowl neck tunic. My last one just looked tired.  
 
 Closing Hints:
     I'm not sure I will make this pattern again. I wasn't entirely pleased with the width of the cowl and there are so many other patterns that can be lengthened or shortened to my preferred tunic length. I do love a cowl neckline but perhaps it's possible to have too many. I'll be looking for Spring and Summer dress patterns soon to get me through the hot months ahead. I saw a wrap dress pattern in Supplement #324 that I think should fit the bill.
 
Here's hoping you're finding some time for sewing even if it's just dreaming of projects to come. 
 
Happy Sewing everyone,
Ann in Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment