Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

Supplement 328 - Model #103
Off Center V neck knit dress
 
   Hello my fellow Lutterloh enthusiasts. It seemed like warmer weather was right around the corner but perhaps I was mistaken. This dress may be a little premature but when I saw the pattern I knew exactly which fabric I could use from the stash.
 
Pattern Hints:
   Because of the off center V neckline on this pattern, you need to draw out the entire front pattern piece rather than just half of a pattern cut on a fold. The center front is indicated on the pattern so it's easy to fold on this line to be sure the two side seams match. I only needed to do a little adjusting to get them the same. Unlike other recent patterns, this neckline seems a little higher than the fashion drawing indicates. After enlarging the pattern to the longer length version I found I needed to cut the pattern in between the two suggested lengths to suit my preference.

Design Changes:
    In addition to lengthening this pattern I also opted to leave off the external casings for the sleeve ties and belt. I find dangling sleeve ties sort of annoying and the waistline belt casing just felt like it would add bulk where I didn't need it. This dress certainly needed some definition at the waist though. The photo below shows how truly roomy it is. I may add elastic at the waist just so a belt is not absolutely necessary. 
   The pattern indicates that the smaller front shoulder piece should be cut on the straight of grain like the rest of the front. However, I cut three different shoulder fronts, one in solid black, just to test out the different looks. I decided on the piece cut on the cross grain just for a little pizazz. This dress is a fairly simple shape so I thought it needed a contrast. As much as I like pockets in a dress I decided to skip those too. This fabric just didn't feel like it would support them without distorting the side seams.

Fabric Used/Suggested:
   This pattern is designed for knits but a stretch woven might work if it had the right drape to it. My striped fabric is a poly/rayon knit with stretch in both directions. I don't know if it's the lightweight nature or the stretchiness of this fabric but it curled at the edges like crazy! This was one of the reasons I decided to skip the casings at the waist and sleeves. I was so tired of wrestling with matching the seams that I just wanted to be done with it. I do love the final result though and may even make another one once I find the right weight knit to use.
 
 Closing Hints:
   Even after all the trouble I had with the fabric I would still like to try this dress again. The neckline is fun and it's a pretty easy project once you get done with the facing. I might even try a ribbing finish at the neck for a more sporty look. The front shoulder piece lends itself to color blocking and even the belt and sleeve casings could be in a contrast fabric. Overall, I'm calling this pattern a keeper for a nice, pullover, knit dress.
 
I have my fingers crossed for some warmer weather ahead so I can wear this dress. Until then...
 
Happy sewing everyone,
Ann in Calif.  

4 comments:

  1. I love your Lutterloh makes. ❤️ from Antwerp / Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We love sharing our projects.
      from Ann in Calif.

      Delete
  2. I like the stripes, especially at the top of the bodice. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. This dress was one of my favorites this past Summer.
      Ann in. Calif.

      Delete