Sunday, January 7, 2018

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

Supplement 307 Model #118 - Winter 2017
 Children's Knit Pajamas or Lounge-wear

I'm calling these lounge-wear because, according to the US government, children's sleepwear must either be flame resistant or fit so closely to the body so not to cause the potential for catching fire from a spark. In either case I say "ewww". I just cautioned the parents of my recipient of the lack of government standards for these pajamas and figured they can decide their suitability. Have you noticed that all the flannel at the fabric store has a disclaimer stating that the fabric is not intended for children's sleepwear?

Pattern Drafting Hints:      
The pattern for these pajamas indicates it is intended for children 3 - 6 years old. The child I made them for is only two but I forged ahead anyway. I figured 48cm was close enough to the 50cm, where the Lutterloh scale starts. The sleeves appear to be 3/4 length in the drawing but I found them to be plenty long enough for full length sleeves once the pattern was enlarged.

Fabric Used/ Suggested:     
The tiny giraffe print used for these pajamas is a very fine, cotton rib knit. The orange bands are a poly blend with a chunky ribbing texture. The pattern does suggest a knit for this pattern so if you wanted to use a woven fabric like flannel you would likely need to add a wider neck opening either at the center front or back or perhaps at one shoulder with snaps. 

Design Changes:     
The only design change I made to this pattern was to use slightly wider ribbing bands. I find when making pajamas for growing toddlers this helps extend the length a little. Because the bands are tight enough around the wrists and ankles the extra length doesn't hinder their movement but it does extend the length of time they can wear them. Although not really a design change I did cut these with no seam allowances because they were drawn slightly larger than necessary.

Closing Hints:     
I'm pleased to have a pajama pattern that I can use as this toddler grows. It would be easy enough to make these pajamas in a short version for Summer so it really is quite versatile. Lutterloh seldom produces patterns for the youngest children so it's nice to see a little more variety. 

Here's wishing you a Happy New Year. Make sure to set aside some time for yourself.

Happy sewing from,
Ann in Calif.

5 comments:

  1. Very helpful thank you for sharing. I’d love these jammies to be available for kids size 8 - 14 years. Hope you have a super awesome 2018 Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Bev. Actually there is a similar pattern for 8-12 years in Supp. 205 from 1992. The same pattern appears in the Children's Special Edition #28 if you can find either of those. Happy 2018 to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your version of this "lounge outfit"! I may have to give some thought to making pajamas for my granddaughter. As an aside, is it just me or does the drawing look like an adult's head on a child's body? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes fashion drawing has gotten a bit lazy. You should see the beautiful fashion drawings in the 1950's Lutterloh books. Some of the best I've ever seen anywhere!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Jacqui, I thought they came out really cute too. I was thinking for the children who are always cold these would even work in lightweight sweatshirt fleece.
    Now that you mention it, the drawing does have the more chiseled features of a young adult. I guess I don't pay much attention to the models because I'm busy looking for clues about the fit. Thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete