Sunday, June 6, 2021

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

 Supplement 320 - Model #47 - Spring 2021

Full Figure Knit Skirt
 
    Hey there, while waiting for the newest Lutterloh supplement I thought I would work on a simple skirt pattern. This skirt is such an easy going style it will work for year round wear here in California. Despite the simple pattern this skirt has a lot going for it with it's pull on elastic waist and side seam pockets. I decided not to make the accompanying pullover top because I knew a closer fitting top would be more flattering for my figure. 
 
Pattern Hints: 
    As you can see from the pattern drawing below, it is suggested that you cut a 2cm facing to make a casing for the elastic at the waist.
This just seemed too fussy for me for such a simple skirt. Instead I added on a 3/4" seam allowance to the top of the pattern and sewed my elastic directly to the wrong side of the waistband. I then simply folded this elastic to the inside and top-stitched it down at the 2cm marking. It still looks nice and neat without any extra facing pieces.
 
    Since this is a Full Figure pattern I enlarged the pattern by using a number 4 dots lower than my actual measurement indicated. If you'd like further information on using the Full Figure patterns for an average sized body then check out the link near the bottom of the right side bar titled "Using full figure patterns for smaller sizes".
 
Design Changes:
    In addition to the sewn on elastic waist I also narrowed the pattern at the top just a little. A rough drawing of my change is indicated by the pink lines drawn in on the pattern pic above. I felt like there would be too much gathering for me at the waist for this style so I used my hip curve ruler to make a slightly more exaggerated curve in the waist area.  

    My skirt is also just a little shorter than the fashion drawing shows. I didn't add my usual length adjustment to this pattern because I wanted a skirt that could take the place of shorts for the hot Summer months ahead. 
 
Fabric Used/Suggested: 
    This pattern calls for a knit fabric but you could probably get away with using a stretch woven if it was drapey and stretchy enough. My particular knit is very lightweight and only stretches on the cross grain. I used a nylon stretch lining fabric for the pockets so they wouldn't cling to me or the wrong side of the skirt. 
 
    Since my fabric is so lightweight I interfaced the hem with a 1.75" strip of fusible knit interfacing that I serged on to the wrong side and then folded up and ironed. This gives a little more weight to the hem as well as keeping it from getting wavy.
 
Closing Hints:  
    This pattern goes together so quickly it's a definite keeper for me. Skirts or dresses with pockets are always a nice alternative to pants or shorts in any season. Your fabric choice is really what determines the degree of dressiness for this pattern. I see more of these in my future for Summer and beyond!
 
For now then, Happy Sewing Everyone,
Ann in Calif.  

4 comments:

  1. I am Mexican and I live in Mexico. I'm glad I found your blog. I only sew buttons by hand. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy this system? Thanks for your answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, when I first started with sewing with lutterloh I bought a box of supplements that came from Mexico. They were 1950's and 1960's patterns. That women sewed tons of the patterns. You can see her pin spots and I'm thinking she loved the system! It you have a basic sewing book for the sewing skills the patterns are very easy to draw. go to #1 how to draw a pattern. YES check the lutterloh site closest to you and order a kit. Enjoy

      Delete
  2. So happy to have found this blog! Whew! I'm new to Lutterloh and have so many questions! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read what we listed on the right side and enjoy learning along with Ann and I.

    ReplyDelete