Tuesday, November 30, 2021

More playing with godets

 

Supplement 271 (2008) w/ side godets
 
     Hi there folks, I wanted to try a different pattern for my next experiment with godets. You may recall a much earlier post here where I inserted a large godet into the back seam of a favorite T shirt pattern. This particular T shirt pattern has always looked a little closer fitting than other Lutterloh tops I've made.

The photo above has the front pattern piece for my favorite T shirt pattern on the left while the right is the current pattern that I used for the top above. The difference is subtle but I've always wondered if the older pattern was as slim fitting as it appeared. I am pleased to report that, yes, this T shirt really does fit closer than most of the other Lutterloh T's I've tried. 
 
The Godets:
   Since my plan to add godets to this top was always to add them into the side seams, I thought it best to start with a close fitting T to begin with. I wanted to add a little swing to just the bottom of my shirt without sacrificing the fit on top. This was the original shape of my godets but the extended tail ended up being cut off. They just looked a little silly.  
4 inches across at the bottom and the length starting at 1 inch below the waist is the size of the godet I chose. This added just enough fullness to the sides to make this top into a swingy little tunic.
   
Other Alterations:
     To get this top to a tunic length I did have to add a full 3 inches to the length at the hem. I believe I'll add even more next time. The neckline of this current pattern is definitely higher than my favorite T shirt. I used the original pattern to draw a lower, wider scoop that I know I prefer. 
 
Conclusion: 
    For this godet experiment I think I chose the right pattern. For my next experiment I think I may use a princess seam pattern with more seams to add the godets. Another favorite pattern of mine from 2012 may be a good candidate. 
 
Here's hoping your holiday season is off to a good start. Happy sewing everyone.

Ann in Calif.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting and nice color choices. I read your stuff and I am inspired. Thanks for keeping me on your email list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top. Love the contrasting sleeves and "making it your own".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for your comments. I only have a tiny bit of the striped fabric left so I'm trying to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete