Sunday, September 1, 2024

Lutterloh Patterns - Fashion Flashback

 Der Goldene Schnitt - 1939 Book Box   
Vintage apron altered for cross back style
 
   Hello folks, I hope your Summer is going swimmingly. I needed a gift for a friend and, since she is an avid gardener and a fan of vintage, I thought this apron would be perfect. She had mentioned that she'd seen some cross back style aprons in a gardening store and I knew that I could replicate one in her favorite colors with just a little alteration of this vintage pattern. 
 
The Pattern:                         
   This pattern appears in several of my vintage books. The photo above shows the pattern pieces that needed to be enlarged. The red "Xes" indicate the pieces that I didn't use since this was going to be a cross back style. I found it interesting that none of my books where this pattern appears included a back view or even any suggestion for a closure or length for ties.  Clearly this must have been such a ubiquitous article of everyday wear that they felt it wasn't necessary. The photos below are of my vintage book which opens into an actual box to hold the patterns.           
The Alterations:  
   Because I was changing this to a cross back style, I didn't need to draw out the back pattern piece. After researching patterns for this style I discovered that only the front of the apron is needed to create the back pattern piece. The front of this apron is made up of two separate pattern pieces but I was able to tape these two together to make one front pattern piece. Below is a photo of how I created the pattern piece for the cross over back.

    I started by cutting the front pattern piece more curved on the bottom rather than the point shown in the original. In order to create the back cross over I needed to copy the front pattern twice so I had a complete front. The red lines drawn in are approximately where I drew the curve for my cross over back. Of course the pattern lines were much smoother but its difficult to draw with my mouse. The back pattern was cut along my red lines, including the right shoulder strap, and along the left side seam. The rest of the pattern was discarded. The grainline for the back was drawn in on the line where the two fronts were joined together. The front pattern piece was cut on the fold of the fabric just like the original apron and I cut two of the back pattern piece with the fabric right sides together. I wanted my apron to be reversible so I cut these pieces again in a coordinating fabric.  
 
The Sewing:
   Sewing this apron together was a breeze. For each fabric I sewed the side seams together, which matched perfectly because they're drawn from an identical pattern piece. I left my shoulder seams open because I wanted to make this apron reversible. I placed my aprons right sides together and sewed around all the edges except the ends of the shoulder straps. I then turned the entire apron out through one shoulder strap. To finish I pressed in a small seam allowance on the back straps, crossed over the back pieces and tucked the front straps just inside those back straps. The shoulder straps were then top stitched closed. Once everything got a good pressing I had a fully reversible apron.

Conclusion:
   I have found that with so many Lutterloh patterns in my collection that I can almost always create whatever style I like with just a few pattern alterations. I know the fit will be right because I've already worked out my personal pattern adjustments with the basic patterns. I certainly hope you consider using your patterns in this way since it opens up so many more possibilities from your Lutterloh patterns. 
 
Until next time then, happy sewing everyone,
 
Ann in Calif. 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I’ve missed reading your discussions. Nancy in Wa state

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking in Nancy! This Summer has been ridiculously hot so my sewing mojo took a back seat for a while. I'm glad to see that you keep checking. ; )

    Ann in Calif.

    ReplyDelete