Friday, April 27, 2018

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

Supplement 297 - Model #39 - Summer 2015
Short Hooded Bathrobe

Hello again, here is my version of this comfortable short bathrobe. My winter robe was getting too warm to wear most days so my goal with this pattern was to end up with a loose fitting robe in a lighter fabric. Yay, mission accomplished! 

Pattern Drafting Hints:  
This pattern was plenty easy to enlarge to my size. My only complaint is that I wish there were a shorter version of the back piece so you didn't have to draw out the longer version and then shorten it.  
Since the pattern page includes a short and long version of this robe you need to draw the full length back pattern piece and then shorten it. The red arrow points to where you should fold the pattern by the suggested amount. I ended up matching the side seams and folding the pattern to match the front. This did end up being right about the 35 cm as suggested.

Fabrics Used/ Suggested:  
This floral print fabric is a 100% cotton terry cloth and the white terry is a cotton poly blend. Other than some major shedding this fabric was a dream to work with. I got it for a steal at a rummage sale last Summer. Fortunately I had just enough to eek out the most important pieces. I did have to use three shorter lengths to piece together the tie belt but the busy print hides all the seams.

This robe is pretty basic so could be made up in just about any fabric that you like. Fleece or flannel would be nice for Winter and any cotton or perhaps gauze would work nicely for the warmer months. I'm sure even a knit could work if that floats your boat.

Design Changes:  
There isn't much shape to this robe so I didn't bother with any design changes. I did have a really hard time turning the super long tube of fabric for the belt so I cut my second one a little wider than the 4cm suggested by the pattern page.

Closing Hints:  
This pattern was exactly what I anticipated it would be. If you need a really basic, everyday robe, this pattern is for you. My next one will likely be a long one with some shaping and nice details but I'm sure this one will last me a good long time.

I've been perusing my vintage Lutterloh patterns lately so my next project may be one of those. I hope you're all finding some time for yourselves.

Happy sewing everyone,
Ann in Calif. 

9 comments:

  1. Looking good! I think I will try this one too. And indeed a waste of paper by not putting markings on the corner seams of the short version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks Shirley! I left the excess of paper on my pattern. I figured I can always extend the front pattern piece later if I want a longer version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking robe. Thank you for posting. Since this is the most common style of robe, the pattern will work for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment Gloria. Lutterloh never fails me when I need something classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Ann! I just got a used (very incomplete- only has 25 patterns in it) lutterloh system at a garage sale. I have spent about a month trying to figure it out (had to make my own tape measure). But cant complain for a $5 garage sale purchase. I've been designing most of my clothes since I was 9 years old (now 39) Never really made official patterns just cut out shapes from news paper and taped them together to figure it out. I was wondering if you could direct me to how I could learn to design or transfer my own garments to the luttherloh system? I think it would be awesome to have all my patterns in a small little binder. Any advice would be super appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. What a great find. You can order a tape measure from the Lutterloh sites listed on the side bar. It’s worth having one for accurate measuring. With your skill you should really enjoy this system. If you can get some supplements to add to your book you will soon have plenty of styles to enjoy. You will find lots of posting here on my blog you will find lots of help. Check the bar on the right for our best postings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice find Michael! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to draft any pattern like a Lutterloh? This is probably the propietary information that has kept them in business for the past 80+ years. I try to enjoy the patterns as they come and make alterations to them to get the style I'm after.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about not having the "shorty" dots! Your robe looks really pretty and cozy, too. It is nice with the contrasting trim :-)

    Rosemary, NZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rosemary. The contrasting trim is really just the only other terry cloth I had in the house. It is nice when it works out though. ;)

    ReplyDelete