Thursday, June 30, 2022

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

 Supplement 325 - Model #30

Elastic Waist Dress in woven fabric

    There's something about the Summer edition of the Lutterloh patterns that always excites me. Some of my favorite patterns come from the Summer editions. It's probably because my climate is so warm most of the time that jackets and coats are just of so little use to me. Now give me a supplement full of dress patterns and I'm a happy camper. So here's another dress from the current Lutterloh supplement. You may want to give this one a try!

Pattern Hints:
    Like so many other Lutterloh patterns of late I found the neckline on this one to be higher than the fashion drawing. I lowered the neckline on my pattern by two full inches in front to achieve the depth you see on my dress.  
The red line indicates roughly where I lowered the neck on my pattern. After establishing the depth I just continued on with copying this curve for the facing.
 
    Also, it may not be as noticeable in miniature but the elastic waistline on this pattern is not a straight line across from the center front and back. The waistline needs to mimic the curve of the hem. It's not that difficult to mark as long as you're using the same curved ruler and make note of the numbers on your curve.   
 
    The only other tip I would mention for this pattern is to either make a cheap muslin or find some way to test where the elastic waistline will fall. I found by measuring up the 55cm that is suggested for the skirt length and inserting the elastic there I was left with a very blousy top portion.
I will insert my elastic at least one inch higher into the top bodice portion for future iterations like I have indicated by the red line in the photo above.
 
Design Changes:
    Because of the double border print I was using I did need to make a major design change. Where the pattern indicates to sew in elastic at the waist I cut my front and back pattern apart into two pieces each, top and skirt. I added seam allowances and continued on with my personal alterations for length and such. I was able to sew the top and bottom back together, adding elastic in the seam, all in one operation. This is when I discovered how billowy the top portion turned out. Determined to make this work, I cut off the elastic I had just sewn in and then cut another inch off the bodice length all the way around. Fortunately this didn't affect the skirt much and I had the opportunity to adjust that billowy top. Once again I layered the bodice, skirt and elastic and serged them all together. Eureka! Now that's what this dress is supposed to look like.
 
    You may have noticed how simply straight the side seams are for this pattern. This always screams POCKETS please! I'm usually sorry when I don't include them and always grateful when I do take the extra steps. 
 
Fabric Used/Suggested:
    Hey Fonnell, do you remember this pretty rayon challis from when we went fabric shopping at the EXPO? My husband even commented how nice it was. This fabric is the lightest fabric I could imagine without actually being sheer. I'm sure in a light background print it probably would be see through. It's a dream to wear and it wasn't too fussy to sew either. I would imagine this pattern would work in a knit too but you may need to reduce the ease quite a bit. Whatever fabric you choose make sure it's a light one to reduce the puffy factor at the elastic waist.
 
Closing Hints:
    Sometimes a really pretty fabric can elevate a very simple silhouette. This pattern, once you get the elastic at the correct level, is a breeze to sew. If you get the right fabric you may even decide all you need is a belt at the waist. It is certainly worth a try. 
 
I'll be taking another look at Supplement #325. I'm sure there are more favorites to find. It's always nice to dream anyway. Be sure to take some time to give your Lutterloh patterns another look. If nothing else but to give you inspiration.

Happy sewing everyone,
Ann in Calif.
 

6 comments:

  1. Love it and the simple lines of the dress pattern. Very pretty on you. I don't always comment but I do always love getting your emails. Thank for keeping me on the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Bet, thank you for your comments. It's always nice to know that people are still reading. Of course you'll stay on our e-mail list! We appreciate your support.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ann, so pleased I found your blog it's amazing and so helpful. I've just got the Lutterloh system, can you recommend a good pattern to start with please. Thanks Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mich, I'm glad you found Fonnell's blog too! I am so grateful that she lets me showcase my work here. As Fonnell suggested we recommend the vest as a first pattern. If you just don't ever wear vests and would like to start with another pattern I would suggest a top or dress pattern for woven fabrics, not knit. I would start with a basic sheath dress with fitting darts at the bust and waist. This will help you determine any fitting adjustments that you'd need to make in every Lutterloh pattern thereafter. There are lots of links in our right side bar that should help you along your Lutterloh journey. Have fun with it!

      Delete
  3. we suggest the vest it allows you to know where your fitting problems will be and make a note of what to correct in all the patterns. You can find the vest pattern on the lutterloh site or in our side bar of articles. Good luck and enjoy your patterns!

    http://sewingnhumming.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-use-vest-pattern-as-sloper.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes I knew what the fabric was the moment I saw your lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete