Sunday, August 28, 2022

Lutterloh Patterns Come Alive!

 Supplement 325 - Model #23
Knit Dress with Curved Godets

    Hello there friends, how is your Summer going? Once again we're experiencing a drought with triple digit heat here in California. It's difficult for me to consider wearing anything but a sleeveless dress. Fortunately Lutterloh always delivers in their Summer supplement.
 
Pattern Hints:   
    As you can see on the model this dress pattern is SHORT. Make sure to paper fit so you'll know if this length is appropriate for you. The curved shape at the front neckline is a little tricky to draw but you can always connect the dots by eye if your ruler's curve isn't tight enough. I also found that drawing this pattern to my measurements left me with a dress that IMO screams for a waist dart.                
Someone with a less curvy figure probably would not have this problem but I didn't want this casual dress to fit too tight so I just added a belt. Problem solved.
Design Changes:  
    As I mentioned previously, this dress was too short for my comfort. In addition to my regular lengthening of the pattern I also added two more inches just above the godets and another half inch to the bottom hem including the godet pattern piece. My neckline is not quite as pronounced as the fashion drawing but I still like it. Next time I will draw the sewing line onto the wrong side of the fabric so it's easier to follow the tight curves. 
 
Fabric Used/Suggested:    
    The suggested fabric for this pattern is a knit and I would agree. Even a stretch woven would not stretch enough for this dress without a zipper and fitting darts. My lavender colored fabric is a super soft cotton/poly interlock with stretch only on the cross grain. A heavier or thicker fabric would provide the body needed to achieve the ruffling effect that's shown in the fashion drawing. If you wanted some contrast you could even make the godets in an entirely different fabric. You really don't need a knit for the godets since they're only at the widest part of the hem.

 Closing Hints:  
     The shaped neckline and curved godets are what drew me to this pattern. They do add an interesting flare to an otherwise simple tank dress. Sewing the neckline was just a little fiddly but worth it in the end. I was surprised how easy the godets were to sew. I just sewed up one side from the hem to the start of the curve and then folded the whole the skirt over the godet to sew the other side into the curve. I can save this godet pattern for another project and even copy the curve of the neckline for future use too. 
 
Although I usually prefer the Spring and Summer Lutterloh Supplements I'm eyeing some from the next Fall Supplement now. Hopefully the weather cools soon so I can wear something with sleeves. Until next time then.....
 
Happy sewing everyone,
Ann in Calif.         

2 comments:

  1. You look good in this dress and youve got the legs to go a bit shorter it looks lovely on you. Ive just got my lutterloh and held off for a few weeks to gather my vourage to start. Im doing the vest pattern n ow so hopefully my adjustments fir smallish bust and huge belly will work. Thanks for your site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee thanks : ) The vest pattern is always a good place to start. If you can figure out your adjustments then every Lutterloh pattern afterward will be easier to adjust. Good luck, we're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete