Since I had already used 2 1/2 yards of fabric and applied the neckband I decided to refashion this disaster into something I could wear. I laid the dress folded down the center, inside out, and arranged my favorite T-shirt dress pattern over the top. I used my trusty Lutterloh hip curve and Chaco Liner to draw in a less exaggerated kimono sleeve and cut all the layers at once with my sharpest shears. Now this was something I could work with!
When my son took the first photos he told me the dress looked "fine". My thought was, sure if I wanted a swim cover up. Perhaps on a more rectangular figure, in the right fabric, this dress might look fabulous. I think I will move on to another pattern and chalk this one up to experience.
Live and learn and keep sewing,
Ann in Calif.